Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WIAW #14: Chicken Rogan Josh

Since Monday was spent in its entirety working on my Politics paper, it was nice to have a bit of a break on Tuesday. Of course I like to tell the story of my day via the food I ate. I am definitely have been consciously trying to consider the fruits and veggies I eat and be more conscious of adding them to my meals. Of course, I still eat too many sweets at teatime, but eh, when in London, right?



It’s What I ate Wednesday (Tuesday):

Breakfast

Cherry/every-type-of-fruit-and-nut-in-the-world muesli with fresh blueberries, fresh mint, raw honey, and skimmed milk
Cup of Earl Gray tea with splash of milk and honey

Cup of Pressed Apple Rhubarb juice (was about to go bad and wanted to get in my extra fruit and veggies!)

Midday
Bottle of still water
Early Afternoon Tea

Cream Tea: Two pots of loose leaf Earl Gray tea with milk and rock sugar

Two plain scones (I wanted fruit but I think the waitress forgot) with strawberry jam and clotted cream

When I came home to the tea party in my house meal

Two finger sandwiches-one cheese, one boiled egg and rocket (arugula)
Bite of guacamole on chip, and one milk chocolate digestive biscuit
Small glass of coke (my indulgence, because clotted cream isn’t enough!)

Dinner

Leftover Chicken Rogan Josh over quinoa (Even better as leftovers, recipe below!)
Glass of Ribena black currant
Bite-sized piece of Victorian sponge cake left from the tea party while waiting for my meal to heat up

I had a pretty good day of eats including a Cream Tea at Selfridge’s Department Store with my friend from home, Cooper. Since he is studying in London too we decided to meet up for afternoon tea. (He hasn’t been yet!!!) It was divine! He had a pot of Afternoon Blend and piece of chocolate cake and I had a lovely cream tea which doubled as my lunch.


Look how happy he looks for his first tea!

I’ve been trying to use up some of the ridiculously perishable things in my fridge before it goes bad. So my cereal had milk today, not yoghurt, (which was about to go bad.) Instead I used the last of my yoghurt in my dinner for the night before…chicken rogan josh.



I’ve never made curry before but after my amazing trip to the Bourgh Market this weekend I picked up a container of Rogan Josh mixed curry spices. Along with a huge bunch of fresh mint for only £1 and bread, I made a killing! I only wish I could have stayed longer! Luckily the curry spices and mint were all I needed to buy extra for this dish. Chicken curry can be eaten over rice, quinoa, or with naan bread. I chose quinoa…mmmm…

My version is a little different than some Chicken Rogan Josh recipes as I added extra vegetables (per my WIAW pledge.) I thought the addition of zucchini (courgettes) and mushrooms would make the dish a little richer since it is normally just chicken and onions in a tomato/curry sauce. The only negative part of making this curry is that whenever you walk in a room someone asks if you just made Indian food. As in you smell.

But no fear, it’s delicious anyways, and leftovers are even better. With quinoa this is also a gluten-free friendly meal, just make sure the curry powder you are using is okay. (It should be, but just in case.)

This recipe is enough for two people (or two meals in my case.) You can easily double this recipe to make for more. Even if you just want to make leftovers.

Chicken Rogan Josh Curry: 2 servings

(Adapted from the Cookery Club)
Ingredients:

1 cup of quinoa

1 ½ cups of water

1 chicken breast, diced

1 cup of plain yoghurt

1 clove of garlic, minced

1-½ tsp. of grated ginger

½-3/4 tbsp. Rogan Josh curry powder

2-3  tbsp. Olive Oil

1 zucchini, sliced and cut in half

Packet of mushrooms, sliced

1 small onion, grated with large cheese grater

Packet of plum tomatoes, cut in half (about 10)

1 tbsp. of tomato paste

1 tsp. sugar

Dash of cinnamon

Dash of garlic salt

1 tsp. vinegar

Salt to taste

Fresh mint

Lemon juice

Extra water








Directions:

Cook quinoa (Check out these instructions from Peas and Crayons)

Mix meat, yoghurt, spices, several torn up mint leaves together in a bowl. Marinate in sauce in fridge for 30 minutes.

In pan fry oil and sugar over medium heat. Add grated onions and cook until brown.

Add marinated meat and marinade, cook for 3 minutes.

Add all other ingredients and mix together. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.

Stir occasionally and after sauce begins to thicken, continue to cook over low heat only until meat is cooked. Add salt to taste. Add a little lemon to taste if too sweet.

Scoop curry over quinoa and enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

9 comments:

  1. Hi you're in London? Me too!! How do you like it? Looks like you're getting around and making things. I've been to Borough Market twice, although it took me almost half a year to finally get there, heh.
    Pressed apple rhubarb juice sounds nice. I'm usually not a fan of apple juice or juice in general, but the rhubarb sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm spending the semester here at UL too! We're neighbors! I love the borough market it is amazing and it took me awhile to find it too! Let me know if you find any other cool markets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never added mint to my breakfast, but thats a great idea. I'll have to try it sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mint to breakfast is a great idea. I love mint leaves. I eat them straight off my plant for some wierd reason. Love your blog!
    http://www.hungrydelights.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I know what you mean, I often just eat mint by itself. yum!

      Delete
  5. Seeing that cup of tea is working my craving for peppermint tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I just bought a big bunch of mint at the market and I have been making lots of mint tea...sooo good!

      Delete
  6. I tagged you in a fun little blog game!

    http://www.jenniferlake.com/2012/02/ten-on-tuesday-plus-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good recipe, seems to be quite easy and quick recipe. Thanks

    George McGuire
    breville je98xl

    ReplyDelete